Your Choice Should be an Experienced Attorney
The senior attorney at Law Offices of Laura A. Brevetti is a criminal defense and business and corporate law attorney in New York City, NY, who specializes in white collar and corporate crime.
She’s a native of New York City and a graduate of Barnard College of Columbia University and the Georgetown University Law Center. She began as a prosecutor and soon became one of the top federal prosecutors in the United States Department of Justice Organized Crime Strike Force. Ultimately, officials in Washington, DC, selected her to head that elite unit in Brooklyn, New York.
Before switching to defense litigation, Ms. Brevetti was a prosecutor. She won the convictions of the bosses of New York organized crime families, the leadership of powerful unions, Wall Street bankers and financiers, business owners, and politicians. New York media recognized her as one of the toughest and most successful prosecutors in the state. One well-known mobster, who later turned author, wrote in his biography that Ms. Brevetti was the one prosecutor he feared the most before his capture.
Defense Litigation Work
After leaving government, our attorney applied the same proven skills and work ethic to a highly successful 25-year career in a private criminal and civil law practice as the principal of her own firm and a partner in a global law firm. Ms. Brevetti’s experience spans the full spectrum of criminal and civil investigations and disputes. She has represented individuals and corporate clients coming from a variety of employment and business sectors.
This has been true in both criminal and civil matters, ranging from trials and arbitrations to critical internal investigations. Other previous cases involved major fraud, corruption cases, contract disputes, employment discrimination charges, and SEC civil investigations and enforcement actions. Based upon her vast first-hand experience and exposure to many high profile matters confronted by her former clients, Ms. Brevetti is called upon to advise and assist individuals and businesses threatened by negative media events and crises to develop appropriate and effective strategies, remedial actions, and public responses.
Business and Corporate Law Experience
Recently, Ms. Brevetti served as the General Counsel and Corporate Secretary of a New York Stock Exchange traded public company that operated throughout the US and internationally. As the Company’s Chief Legal Officer, Ms. Brevetti managed a department of experienced attorneys and para-professionals engaged in corporate and legal matters, including, for example, corporate governance, transactional deals, SEC filings, regulatory compliance, intellectual property rights, employment, and consumer laws worldwide.
She managed more than twenty outside law firms in the US and abroad retained by the company to handle a broad spectrum of corporate legal matters, including class actions and regulatory compliance. The company’s legal department under Ms. Brevetti’s leadership was recognized for its innovation and excellence by peers and media, including The Financial Times.
Honors, Recognition and Professional Association
Ms. Brevetti has been recognized by various organizations and legal publications for her work in defense litigation. A few of her most prominent achievements are listed below:
- Super Lawyer In the Specialty Of White-Collar Defense.
- AV Preeminent rating – Martindale-Hubbell
- AV Preeminent rating in Securities Law — National Law Journal
- Top Lawyers in New York (Highest in Ethical Standards and Professional Excellence) — Showmark Media
- Fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyer
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
- The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society; and Member of the Trial Law Institute
- During her tenure as the General Counsel and chief legal officer of a $1B NYSE-listed corporation, The Financial Times choose her legal department as one of the ten most innovative in-house legal teams in North America.
- Member of the New York bar; bars of Southern and Eastern Districts of New York; and US Supreme Court
- Member of the New York Council of Defense Lawyers
- Member of the Association of Former Eastern District Federal Prosecutors
To see why we’re is the best choice for business law in New York City, NY, you need look no further than our head attorney’s previous cases. Even before she established Law Office of Laura A. Brevetti, Ms. Brevetti produced successful results in a multitude of cases, some of them involving Fortune 100 companies. The corporate law and white collar defense cases have been as varied as their clients and criminal charges, but her perseverance and dedication remained the same. Her profile spans decades, and some other fine examples of her work are as follows:
- Lead litigation counsel representing Bank of America and Countrywide Financial Corp. with regard to the Department of Justice (D.O.J.) civil investigation for alleged FHA mortgage banking fraud and claims under the Federal False Claims Act (EDNY); the negotiations and $1B settlement reached in the matter were featured in “Big Suits”, The American Lawyer (April 2012).
- Lead counsel representing a registered broker-dealer and investment advisory firm under S.E.C. Enforcement investigation for possible fraud violations under Section 17(a) of the ’33 Act, Section 10(b) of the ’34 Act and Rule 10(b).
- Lead counsel representing a principal of a registered investment advisor in a D.O.J. and federal grand jury “Pay-to-Play” investigation in connection with municipal workers’ pension fund (E.D. Mich.).
- Lead litigation counsel representing several mortgage lenders, each under D.O.J. investigation for alleged FIRREA violations.
- Co-counsel representing a defendant charged with insider trading in the Galleon Holdings/Rajaratam series of securities cases.
- Lead counsel representing a Fortune 100 Transportation Company with respect to a NYS and NYC sales tax investigation.
- Lead counsel representing a Fortune 100 Telecommunications Company in NYS Attorney General’s investigation of alleged evasion of $350 million violation of NYS taxes and False Claims Act.
- Litigation counsel advising a Fortune 100 Transportation Company alleged to have misclassified workers as independent contractors.
- Lead counsel representing a former NY State Senator and pension fund placement advisor in “Pay-to-Play" investigation.
- Lead counsel representing former Dep. Communications Director of former Gov. David Patterson in NYS Attorney General and Public Integrity investigations.
- Litigation counsel representing a former major oil trader in NY County District Attorney and CFTC investigations for oil market manipulation.
- Successfully defended at trial a nanny from Switzerland charged with pre-meditated murder and first degree arson in Westchester County.
- Successfully defended at trial the CEO of WWE on federal charges of defrauding the FDA by distributing anabolic steroids.
- Successfully defended at trial an NYC municipal union official charged with assault of a city official.
Investigating Internal Matters
Other examples of our attorney’s work in business law include issues within companies. These are handled with all of the same professional skill as any other case. Previous examples are:
- Litigation counsel for South Korea’s largest construction and telecommunications corporation, and successfully won a dismissal of a civil RICO action against it in the SDNY.
- Lead litigation counsel representing a mortgage bank and mortgage servicing company sued for the wrongful death of three occupants in a fire at a foreclosed residential property.
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of a Fortune 100 Transportation Company regarding its compliance with an existing consent decree.
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of an international engineering and construction corporation regarding alleged violations of its internal policies by corporate general counsel.
- Successfully defended at trial a corporate executive sued together with the public company employer for sexual discrimination and harassment in federal court.
- Outside general counsel for the NYC Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association (1997-99).
- Various arbitrations before the NYSE, NASD and FINRA.
Invest in an attorney who will stand by you by contacting us today. We serve clients in the Metropolitan New York area and the nearby communities.