Premier White Collar Defense
Grand jury investigations and trials of allegations of white collar crimes, such as securities fraud, tax evasion, bribery, mail and wire fraud, embezzlement, and cybercrime are very complex. Ergo, they require legal representation by an experienced and recognized specialist. Ms. Brevetti, our head attorney at Law Office of Laura A. Brevetti, specializes in white collar criminal defense and corporate law practice in New York City, NY.
As an experienced criminal defense attorney and former top federal prosecutor, Ms. Brevetti has more than 25 years of experience and a proven track record in successfully defending individuals and businesses under investigation and accusation. She also represents individuals charged with a variety of state crimes, such as, for example, assault, larceny, forgery, and fraud. We firmly believe you couldn’t ask for a better business litigation attorney.
Government Regulatory Enforcement Investigations and Actions
Individuals and companies operating in regulated industries may face the threat or reality of an enforcement investigation and action brought by a state or federal governmental body. Ms. Brevetti has deep experience zealously advocating and negotiating for clients facing regulatory actions. We can arrange for you to meet with her and receive professional governance advice to know the best way to proceed.
Simplifying Complex Civil Litigation
With deft skill, insight, and creativity, Ms. Brevetti has represented individuals and business entities facing complex civil matters, such as RICO, employment discrimination and sexual harassment, and contract disputes. A breach of contract or disagreement regarding employment can quickly become a major headache for any business, but having someone on your side who understands these issues can make it much easier.
Evaluating Potential or Pending Litigation
When facing the threat of litigation—or if you are currently involved in actual litigation—Ms. Brevetti can be a valuable resource to help you make informed decisions, work with your current counsel, and help formulate effective strategies against your adversary. These situations can be extremely delicate, and having us to help you out can make a tremendous difference.
Outside Corporate Counsel Services
This area includes internal investigations, compliance, and crisis and media consulting. Clients retain Ms. Brevetti because of her experience as both an outside lawyer and in-house general counsel. Internal problems often require an outside attorney to investigate. These can include allegations of FCPA violations, employment law violations, whistle blower allegations, and criminal conduct. Our attorney has conducted those allegations as outside and in-house counsel.
The best way to avoid legal problems is by establishing and enforcing effective best practices and procedures to prevent and detect potential violations of law within the company. We can help you define and implement these safeguards and ensure you are in full compliance with regulations and laws governing your business. Plus, when sudden and significant negative events strike, Ms. Brevetti has the background and experience to provide you with effective crisis and media management advice.
Illustrative Prior Representations
Below we’ve detailed some examples of Ms. Brevetti’s work in white collar criminal defense and other cases. These demonstrate the extensive background our leading attorney has in her field and why we’re the ideal option for legal representation. Some of Ms. Brevetti’s career highlights are:
- Lead litigation counsel representing Bank of America and Countrywide Financial Corp. with regard to D.O.J. civil investigation for alleged FHA mortgage banking fraud and claims under the Federal False Claims Act (EDNY); the negotiations and $1B settlement reached in the matter were featured in “Big Suits”, The American Lawyer (April 2012).
- Lead counsel representing registered broker-dealer and investment advisory firm under S.E.C. Enforcement investigation for possible fraud violations under Section 17(a) of the ’33 Act, Section 10(b) of the ’34 Act and Rule 10(b).
- Lead counsel representing a principal of a registered investment advisor in a D.O.J. and federal grand jury “Pay-to-Play” investigation in connection with municipal workers’ pension fund (E.D. Mich.).
- Lead litigation counsel representing several mortgage lenders, each under D.O.J. investigation for alleged FIRREA violations.
- Co-counsel representing a defendant charged with insider trading in the Galleon Holdings/Rajaratam series of securities cases.
- Lead counsel representing a Fortune 100 Transportation Company with respect to a NYS and NYC sales tax investigation.
- Lead counsel representing a Fortune 100 Telecommunications Company in NYS Attorney General’s investigation of alleged evasion of $350 million violation of NYS taxes and False Claims Act.
- Litigation counsel advising a Fortune 100 Transportation Company alleged to have misclassified workers as independent contractors.
- Lead counsel representing a former NY State Senator and pension fund placement advisor in “Pay-to-Play" investigation.
- Lead counsel representing former Dep. Communications Director of former Gov. David Patterson in NYS Attorney General and Public Integrity investigations.
- Litigation counsel representing a former major oil trader in NY County District Attorney and CFTC investigations for oil market manipulation.
- Successfully defended at trial a nanny from Switzerland charged with pre-meditated murder and first degree arson in Westchester County.
- Successfully defended at trial the CEO of WWE on federal charges of defrauding the FDA by distributing anabolic steroids.
- Successfully defended at trial an NYC municipal union official charged with assault of a city official.
Civil Matters and Internal Investigations
These examples show Ms. Brevetti’s work in other areas. If you’ve found yourself in a similar situation, contact our firm for assistance at 917-445-0813 in New York, NY.
- Acted as litigation counsel for South Korea’s largest construction and telecommunications corporation, and successfully won a dismissal of a civil RICO action against it in the SDNY.
- Lead litigation counsel representing a mortgage bank and mortgage servicing company sued for the wrongful death of three occupants in a fire at a foreclosed residential property.
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of Fortune 100 Transportation Company regarding its compliance with an existing consent decree.
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of international engineering and construction corporation regarding alleged violations of its internal policies by corporate general counsel.
- Successfully defended at trial a corporate executive sued together with the public company employer for sexual discrimination and harassment in federal court.
- Acted as outside general counsel for the NYC Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association (1997-99).
- Made various arbitrations before the NYSE, NASD and FINRA.